1. Identify advocacy issues by gathering information, reviewing and analyzing all aspects of the problem.
2. Demonstrate knowledge of current laws, services and community resources to assist and educate individuals to secure needed supports.
3. Facilitate, assist and/or represent the individual when there are barriers to his or her service needs and lobby decision makers when appropriate to overcome barriers to services.
4. Interact with and educate community members and organizations (e.g., employers, landlords, civic organizations) regarding advocacy for participant’s needs or services.
5. Demonstrate understanding of the process of advocacy and the role of advocacy in the lives of individuals.